What's in a system?

As I work on the specifics of the Atrocity Vaults campaign structure, I'm homing in on a system to use for actual play. I've narrowed it down to the following candidates, mostly based on factors of cost (I'm poor and I already own these systems) and focus (these are explicitly horror RPGs, with the exception of one as discussed later). I lay out the pros and cons of each of these systems below. 


Cryptworld/Chill 1e, being a game of supernatural investigation using the Pacesetter system (made famous by Chill 1e). Pros: Simple to learn/teach, available in print (for those who dislike PDF games). Cons: Although ostensibly geared toward occult investigation out of the box, this premise is not really explicitly supported by the mechanics. Most of the support material has a humorous overtone, which is not something I'm shooting for with this campaign. 


Cthulhu Deep Green, being a hack of Cthulhu Dark for playing in the universe of Delta Green. Pros: Simple to learn/teach, inexpensive (making it easy for the players to obtain their own copy of the rules), geared toward weird conspiracy out of the box. Cons: Very lethal, perhaps too lethal for over-the-top weirdness and cinematic action (go ahead and watch the tone-setting video again). 


Liminal Horror, being an indie game of investigative horror. Pros: Simple to learn/teach, inexpensive (making it easy for the players to obtain their own copy of the rules), geared toward investigative horror out of the box. Cons: Very lethal and, as written, played very straight (i.e. probably not the best choice for over-the-top weirdness and cinematic action that I'm hoping to encourage). 


Mythic D6, being a multi-genre RPG based on the old WEG D6 system with an emphasis on high octane action. Pros: Simple to learn/teach, has a mechanical emphasis on high octane action, contains rules for supernatural powers. Cons: Not a horror RPG by design. More of a toolkit than a game, meaning I'll have to put more work in on my end to configure the system options for the campaign I plan to run. 


Squadron X, being a game of supernatural conspiracy based on a supers RPG. Pros: Has a built in campaign structure with PCs beginning as normal folks and gaining supernatural abilities over time, does weird supernatural conspiracy out of the box, ostensibly easy to learn/teach. Cons: Needs a lot of editing (presentation is confusing and rules are often unclear to me). 


Now, despite potentially requiring more work on my end, I'm leaning toward Mythic D6 right now because of all the systems I've considered, I think it will most easily allow me to capture over-the-top action and visceral violence without dipping into humor (i.e. it will allow those things to be played straight) or outright annihilating the PCs due to being too lethal. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Session Zero

What's in a setting?